Thursday, December 3, 2009

there is nothing wrong with liking star trek

I took this from something I read, I think it was from the writer Grant Morrison, but whoever it was said something like this:
         Science fiction writers are not just writing about the future the are writing the present day.  The things they write are the things that inspire people to go forward.

A great example is Gene Roddenberry and Star Trek.  With the exception of intergalactic travel and phasers set to stun (you can buy lasers at walgreens though); we can do anything they could do.  cell phones, smart phones, computers with built in cameras that let us video talk with people all over the world, translation programs, doors that open without us touching anything, flat screen tvs , cars that talk to us or drive themselves (new acuras or bmws), etc etc. Hell, we are even planning a manned mission to mars.

There is nothing wrong with liking science fiction stuff, the real problem is people who don't want to move forward.  I'm not saying that everyone has to read that shit, and despite what the futurists say we can learn from the past; what I'm trying to say is that we should embrace the things that come next, and not criticize the people who tried to see a next that lay beyond what was obviously right before us.

I could go on about this topic, but it's five in the morning and I have to go to bed. Until then post some comments; I'd love to know how stupid the shit I write or post is.

now it's ten am and I woke up on the couch with my shoes on and the computer in my lap. I'm not even going to read this
  

No comments:

Post a Comment